top of page

Doncaster RLFC 12-28 York Knights - Match Report

York Knights reeled off 20 unanswered second-half points to come from behind and beat Doncaster RLFC 28-12 in their opening pre-season friendly at the Eco-Power Stadium.

York trailed 12-8 at half time in South Yorkshire but rallied to score four tries in the second period without reply.

Matty Marsh was at the double for the Knights while off-season signings Conor Fitzsimmons and Josh Daley marked their first appearances with tries.

Ata Hingano and James Glover were also on the scoresheet as Head Coach Andrew Henderson started his reign with a victory.

The visitors made a rapid start as a Hingano grubber won a drop-out before Myles Harrison was held up.

The pressure told when Marsh managed to squirm through a gap in the right corner having at first appeared to have been held short.

Glover struck the woodwork from the conversion, the first of two misses from the tee.

York's strong start, which was being aided by some Doncaster ill-discipline, continued when Hingano showed a sublime turn of pace to cut through the Dons line from close range.

After a solid first half-hour, the hosts hit back with two quick-fire scores to go ahead at the break.

Sam Smeaton reached out an arm to the line to cut the gap before Tom Halliday finished off a right-side move on the stroke of half time.

Two Connor Robinson goals had the Dons 12-8 up at the interval.

The hosts were unable to build on their late first-half momentum and, once the Knights battled through the second period’s opening quarter of an hour, four tries in a dozen minutes followed.

Fitzsimmons began the scoring streak by charging through the Doncaster line from close range.

Marsh then completed his double after diving onto a nudge through from Hingano following a great show of hands in the middle, including a Jon Luke Kirby offload.

Some more divine ball handling was on show when Liam Harris - who scored two conversions during the scoring spree - wriggled through a gap to put Marsh in the clear before the full-back picked out the supporting Daley.

With a dozen minutes left, Harris then sent up a bomb which went straight through Travis Corion’s hands, giving Glover a simple finish in the right corner.

Joe Brown broke clear of a couple of tackles to go close late on but lost the ball before he reached the line.

York: Marsh; Brown, Glover, Harrison, Towse; Hingano, Harris; Kirby, Jubb, Fitzsimmons; Kirmond, Thompson, Antrobus.

Subs (all used): Michael, Daley, Teanby, Barnard, Price, Pickles (T).

Tries: Marsh (9’, 60’), Hingano (27’), Fitzsimmons (55’), Daley (63’), Glover (67’)

Goals: Glover (0/2), Harris (2/4)

Doncaster: Hall; Halliday, Sanderson, Tali, Corion; Johnston, Robinson; Foster, Burns, Jones; Ollett-Hobson, Smeaton, McConnell.

Subs (all used): Knowles, Whitmore, Holdstock, Roberts, Taulapapa, Kenga, Petersen, Hey.

Tries: Smeaton (30’), Halliday (38’)

Goals: Robinson (2/2)

Referee: Kevin Moore


Key Partners