top of page

York Knights 28-14 Barrow Raiders - Match Report

York Knights returned to winning ways in the 2023 Betfred Championship season after beating Barrow Raiders 28-14 at the LNER Community Stadium.

Having been locked in at 10-10 at half time, York battled through the opening minutes of the second half while down to 12 men before Jon Luke Kirby, returning from the sin-bin put the Knights back in front.

Ata Hingano marked his first appearance of the season with a try minutes later before Joe Brown wrapped up the two points after Shane Toal hit back for Barrow with his second try of the afternoon. Amir Bourouh earlier crossed for the Raiders.

York needed just 40 seconds to take the lead, with Myles Harrison giving the Knights the dream start.

After a break to the Barrow 40 on play one, the hosts shifted the ball right for Harrison to dive in on the right edge.

James Glover was wide from the tee, the only conversion he missed all afternoon.

Harrison almost crossed for a second try on eight minutes, but he was unable to keep hold of Glover's remarkable offload in the right corner.

Barrow worked their way back into the match after a dozen minutes when Salford Red Devils loanee Amir Bourouh crossed out of dummy-half from close range.

Jarrod Sammut added conversion - his solitary contribution from the tee.

York regained the lead just shy of the half-hour mark when Ata Hingano picked out a delicate kick down the short side which Jesse Dee was the first to react to.

The Knights were reduced to 12 men when Kirby was sin-binned for his part in a fracas.

From the resultant set, Barrow created the overlap for Toal to cross in the left corner, leaving the scores at 10-10 at the break.

York made a strong start to the second period as a Liam Harris grubber forced a goal line drop out in the opening set, setting a marker down for the remainder of the contest.

Minutes after returning from the side-line, Kirby raced 40 metres to score under the posts following a break from Hingano.

The assister turned into the scorer as he crossed under sticks when combining with fellow half Harris as Barrow fell asleep when York were awarded a set restart.

Barrow attempted to mount a comeback when Toal ran in for his second. Ryan Johnston's kick deflected off the York line and was picked up by Ellis Gillam who found the winger on the left edge.

The victory was secured with five minutes remaining though as Brown collected Sammut’s grubber kick and raced through some jaded Raiders defence before touching down from a 90m break.

York: Brown, Towse, Edwards, Glover, Harrison, Hingano, Harris, Antrobus, Jubb, Fitzsimmons, Dee, Kirmond, Thompson.

Subs (all used): Kirby, Daley, Teanby, Barnard.

Tries: Harrison (1’) Dee (30’), Kirby (50) Hingano (55’), Brown (75’)

Goals: Glover (4/5)

Barrow: Cresswell, Bulman, Worthington, Corkill, Toal, Sammut, Johnston, Wells, Bourouh, Iaria, Langtree, Greenwood, Stack.

Subs (all used): Burke, Gillam, Evans, Archer.

Tries: Bourouh (13’) S. Toal (39’, 64’)

Goals: Sammut (1/3)

Referee: Scott Mikalauskas


Key Partners