top of page

York Knights 30-28 London Broncos - Match Report

York Knights secured back-to-back victories after beating London Broncos 30-28 in a Betfred Championship thriller at the LNER Community Stadium.

York responded from Ethan Natoli's early opener to lead 16-4 at the break thanks to an AJ Towse double and a Chris Clarkson try.

London levelled the scores early in the second half when Jordan Williams and Wellington Albert crossed the whitewash.

Ukuma Ta'ai barged over on his 300th career appearance before Towse completed his hat-trick but London twice pegged York back through Marcus Stock and Emmanuel Waine, with James Glover's second-half penalty goal proving decisive to ensuring the two points were taken by the Knights.

The result saw Andrew Henderson's side claim successive victories after seeing off Newcastle Thunder 22-18 in the Betfred Challenge Cup Fifth Round last time out.

The Knights showed character to come from behind as Natoli hit a short pass from Henry Raiwalui before racing to the left corner after a dozen minutes. Oli Leyland struck the post from the conversion, his only miss from five attempts.

York hit back six minutes later when, a play after debutant Oli Pratt broke from his own half to within 20m of the London line, the ball was spread left for Towse to finish.

Glover was wide from the tee, like Oli Leyland, his only miss from six efforts.

Captain Clarkson put York in front when hitting a good inside line from Josh Daley's pass on 25 minutes, a lead that was extended shortly before the break when Towse finished Glover's pat down of Hingano's cross-field kick.

Two London tries in four minutes saw the contest turned on its head. Albert fed Williams to drive to the line and the assister turned scorer when barging over from a drop-off pass.

The Knights moved back in front at 18-16 through Glover's penalty goal before Ta'ai marked his milestone by charging over to the left of the sticks from close range.

Stock wrestled over with 12 minutes remaining to cut the gap, though it was widened once more by Towse's strong finish in the left corner after Hingano's 40/20.

Waine's late score narrowed the gap back to two points but the Knights held on until the final hooter.

York: Marsh, Towse, Glover, Pratt, Brown, Hingano, Daley, Ta’ai, Jubb, Kirby, Field, Clarkson, Thompson.

Subs used: Michael, Teanby. Subs not used: Harrison, Barnard

Tries: Towse (18‘, 38’, 71’), Clarkson (25‘), Ta’ai (56‘)

Goals: Glover (5/6)

London: Walker, Ulberg, Bassett, Waine, Macani, O. Leyland, Raiwalui, Bienek, Davis, Stock, Lovell, Natoli, Parata.

Subs (all used): Albert, Williams, B. Leyland, Silva

Tries: Natoli (14’), Williams (43‘), Albert (47’), Stock (67‘), Waine (75')

Goals: O. Leyland (4/5)

Referee: Cameron Worsley

Geoff Pryce Player of the Match in partnership with Isaac Poad Brewing: Will Jubb


Key Partners