top of page

York Knights 26-22 Newcastle Thunder - Match Report

York Knights came from behind to beat Newcastle Thunder 26-22 at the LNER Community Stadium and secure a third straight victory.

AJ Towse got York off to the perfect start inside 40 seconds before Ted Chapelhow, Gideon Boafo and Mitch Clark tries turned the tide back in Newcastle's favour.

The Knights cut the gap to two points through Joe Brown and Oli Field tries but Alex Donaghy's score established an eight-lead at half time.

Andrew Henderson's side kicked on in the second half however, despite the loss of Ata Hingano, with tries from Field, Glover and a late winner from Oli Pratt securing two Betfred Championship points for the hosts.

The result sees York earn a third straight win in all competitions and move up to eighth in the Betfred Championship table.

The Knights flew out of the blocks, after 40 seconds shifting the ball to the left in their first attacking as Towse showed his pace from 60 metres out.

James Glover added the conversion, his only successful kick from six attempts.

Newcastle responded immediately as Ted Chapelhow barged over to the left of the sticks after York failed to gather the restart and conceded a penalty.

Nikau Williams landed the goal, his first of three conversions from four efforts.

Thunder moved in front when Boafo fended off a challenge to ground the ball in the left corner before Mitch Clark drove over out of dummy-half.

York closed the gap when Hingano created space on the outside for an overlap, which Joe Brown finished.

Hingano then beat a defender before grubbering through for Field to ground.

Just before the break, Glover attempted to kick through but Donaghy came away with the ball and raced through untouched from 40 metres out, taking Thunder into a 22-14 lead at half time.

Henderson’s troops came out in the second half like a different team, defending resolutely and denying Newcastle any strong field position.

After an incorrect play-the-ball, Field capitalised when stepping over from 10 metres out.

The Knights drew level when Marsh's short pass put Glover over the whitewash, though the scorer could not convert, leaving the scores at 22-22 with 15 minutes left.

York finally managed to recover the lead with five minutes left. After a half break from Jordan Thompson, Pratt dived in from a right-side move, sealing the victory for the Knights.

York: Marsh, Towse, Glover, Pratt, Brown, Hingano, Daley, Ta’ai, Jubb, Kirby, Field, Clarkson, Thompson.

Subs (all used): Kirmond, Cunningham, Michael, Teanby.

Tries: Towse (1‘), Brown (27‘), Field (34‘, 50’), Glover (64‘), Pratt (76‘)

Goals: Glover (1/6)

Newcastle: Donaghy, Boafo, Walker, Thomas, Clegg, Miller, Williams, T. Chapelhow, Davies, Moore, Windrow, Staveley, Bailey.

Subs (all used): Clark, Balmforth, Tuliatu, Okoro.

Tries: T. Chapelhow (4‘), Boafo (14’), Clark (22‘), Donaghy (40‘)

Goals: Williams (3/4)

Geoff Pryce Player of the Match in association with Isaac Poad Brewing: Oli Filed

Referee: Scott Mikalauskas


Key Partners